GPT-4: Pioneering a New Era of Natural Language

With the rapid development of artificial intelligence, language processing technology plays a crucial role in this field. OpenAI’s ChatGPT series has already changed the way we interact with machines, and the latest GPT-4 has pushed this revolution to a new peak. 

Using the most cutting-edge machine learning algorithms, this artificial intelligence model presents unprecedented natural language processing capabilities, not only able to understand and generate text, but also to engage in deep and meaningful dialogues. This article will lead you to a deeper understanding of GPT-4 and explore the latest developments in this artificial intelligence language revolution.

Table of Contents

An Intro to GPT-4

OpenAI recently announced its new generation of multi-modal large-scale natural language model GPT-4, which is a new progress built on the basis of GPT-3. GPT-4 can not only handle text input but also process image input and generate corresponding text content. This important update was announced on OpenAI’s official website on March 14, 2023, and at the same time, OpenAI’s ChatGPT also underwent a corresponding upgrade, and the current ChatGPT Plus can use GPT-4.

According to OpenAI’s experiments, GPT-4 performs at a human level in many professional tests and academic benchmarks. For example, in the simulated lawyer exam, GPT-4’s score was in the top 10% of all referents, which was in sharp contrast to GPT-3.5’s score in the bottom 10% of all referents. However, GPT-4’s ability to handle real-world scenarios still needs to be improved, and it may sometimes produce fictional facts and reasoning errors.

The biggest highlight of GPT-4 is its visual input function, which can generate text output based on text and image prompts, although this function is currently still in the research

Features of GPT-4

  • Enhanced language and code generation capabilities: GPT-4 can produce more coherent and human-like language expressions. At the same time, its performance in code generation has also been significantly improved.
  • Deeper content understanding: GPT-4 is more accurate in capturing the meaning of sentences and can provide more accurate answers.
  • Multilingual support: In order to better communicate with people who use different languages, GPT-4 has added support for multiple languages.
  • Multi-modal input: GPT-4 supports text and image input. At present, OpenAI has opened the text version of GPT-4 to the public.
  • Broader context understanding: The OpenAI API provides an 8k version, equivalent to the context of 10-13 pages of text, and a 32k version, approximately equivalent to the context of 50 pages of text, for API use.
  • Image understanding (multimodal): GPT-4’s performance in image understanding is particularly noteworthy. It can not only understand the content of pictures but also understand the related context and its meaning.

Application Cases

  • Customer service: GPT-4 can be used to improve the customer service experience by providing real-time responses to customer inquiries. It can also generate automatic emails and chatbots, but it should be noted that GPT-4 sometimes also makes up answers, which is what OpenAI calls “hallucination facts”.
  • Voice interaction: Combined with voice-to-text and text-to-voice functions, GPT-4 can provide a better user experience.
  • Language translation: GPT-4 supports multiple languages and can be used to enhance language translation services. It can accurately translate the text of one language into another, helping people who use different languages to communicate more conveniently.
  • Content generation: GPT-4 can be used to create news articles, blog articles, and even novels. It can generate originaland coherent content, saving time and resources for content creators.
  • Image analysis: Once GPT-4’s functionality is online, it will be able to understand images through context. This differs from image recognition, which can only identify the content of images, as GPT-4 can understand a more comprehensive picture.
  • Summarizing ability: Since GPT-4 can understand longer contexts, it can create better summaries.
  • Code generation: GPT-4 has successfully generated the code for games like Tetris, Pong, Snake, and Game of Life. You can even create the HTML code for a website by describing it.
  • Innovation generation: GPT-4 can become your personal innovation assistant. You can innovate and conceive new ideas through dialogues with AI.
  • Educational application: GPT-4 can be used as a teacher. It can adapt to your skill level and learning style, providing an efficient learning experience.
  • Personal assistant: With appropriate integration into business systems, GPT-4’s natural language understanding ability brings us closer to having a personal assistant.

Apps powered by GPT-4

Duolingo is one of the most popular language learning tools in the world. It has many practical tools for teaching different languages and recently introduced a new feature called Duolingo Max, which brings GPT-4’s natural language processing into the app.

ChatSonic is the GPT-4 version of Writesonic, which is itself an AI-driven writing tool. With GPT-4’s capabilities, ChatSonic is like an advanced version of ChatGPT.

It is a non-profit educational resource that provides high-quality educational tools for organizations and individuals worldwide. It has an excellent children’s application on various platforms, allowing them to access a variety of STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) courses, English courses, math courses, demonstrations, and games.

The original GPT-4 application can only be obtained through OpenAI’s ChatGPT-Plus subscription service. It charges $20 per month, but you can get access to GPT-4, as well as priority access to ChatGPT, so you will never feel it’s too busy to use.

Microsoft is the first company to bring GPT-4 to the public by integrating it into the new Bing Chat service. This is a conversational chatbot that enhances Bing search, enabling it to handle more natural language search prompts, and can converse with you.

What are the limitations of GPT-4?

Despite the outstanding performance of OpenAI’s new language model GPT-4, it is not without its drawbacks. When using outputs generated by GPT-4, OpenAI advises users to be cautious and establish usage guidelines that adapt to their own needs. Here are some of the limitations of GPT-4:

  • The model is still struggling to deal with social biases, the tendency to hallucinate, and the handling of adversarial prompts.
  • GPT-4’s pre-training data is only updated to September 2021, so its responses to events that have happened since then may not be accurate.
  • Users may enter some prompts that can trigger unexpected output results, which is called “jailbreaking.”
  • GPT-4’s understanding and output quality may decline when handling languages other than English.
  • GPT-4 cannot process audio or video data.
  • Sometimes, GPT-4 may make mistakes in handling math problems that even a simple calculator wouldn’t make.

Is GPT-4 human-like?

While GPT-3.5 has the ability to overlook hindsight, GPT-4 has a set of more complex reasoning skills that do not allow it to make any risky decisions,even if the outcome might be successful.

Here’s an example from Hugging Face:

Question: David can play a game, where there’s a 94% chance he will lose $50, and a 6% chance he will win $5. David plays the game and wins $5. Should he have played?

What is the answer: Despite the outcome, it appears to have been a very risky game for David, so the answer should be no. GPT-4 got it right!

GPT-3.5 says OK
GPT-4 rejected


Having overviewed the key features, functionalities, application scenarios, and some apps that are leveraging its capabilities, it’s clear that OpenAI’s GPT-4 marks a significant leap in artificial intelligence for natural language processing. Its impressive ability to understand and generate text, as well as handle multimodal inputs, signifies AI’s further integration into our daily lives. Simultaneously, GPT-4’s applications in various domains such as code generation, content creation, image understanding, and multilingual translation greatly enhance our work efficiency and quality of life.

However, while GPT-4’s performance in many areas is impressive, we must also understand and confront its limitations, such as issues of social bias, insufficiency in handling up-to-date information, and potential quality drop when dealing with non-English content. These remind us that while we utilize GPT-4, caution is needed to ensure our usage adheres to norms, and human checks and interventions might be necessary at times.

In conclusion, GPT-4 is undoubtedly an exciting technology that is changing our interaction with machines in unprecedented ways and opening up a new chapter in artificial intelligence. However, we must also recognize that, despite the significant strides made with GPT-4, the journey of AI development is still a long one. We look forward to GPT-4 continuously evolving in the future, overcoming its existing limitations, and bringing us more possibilities and conveniences.